Working together to better serve you.
The 2 main types of eye doctors are optometrists and ophthalmologists. We will discuss the differences between these two doctors who work together to provide the best eye care experience!
- Optometrists are primary care eye doctors.
- They prescribe prescription glasses and contact lenses to improve vision and perform routine exams to evaluate the health of your eyes.
- They graduated with a 4 year (plus 1 year of optional residency) doctorate degree from optometry school.
- Although the years of overall medical training is lower compared to ophthalmologists, the primary focus on eyes allows optometrists to understand all eye complications (red eyes, dry eyes, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc).
- Ophthalmologists are doctors that went through medical school.
- Additionally, they have completed 4+ years of residency/internship specialized in the eye.
- OMDs are capable of providing eye exams along with performing eye surgeries. This is the main separation between ODs and OMDs.
- Ophthalmologists will perform surgeries for cataracts, LASIK, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachments, and more.
- Opticians do not perform eye exams. However, they are important in making sure glasses are made properly for patients.
- A 1-2 year degree/certificate is usually obtained by certified opticians.
- Opticians can identify the right frame shape for a face as well as making sure the prescription is accurate.
- Optometrists, ophthalmologists, and opticians work together to provide the most complete eye experience.
Here at Glimpse Eye Care, we are not just the eye place at Creekside, we are optometrists who strive to provide the best eye care in the Creekside, The Woodlands, and surrounding areas. Your vision today matters and we are here to provide the best glasses and contacts available.
Come check us out! Call or text us at 832-554-100 to schedule an appointment down below.
Follow us on social media for more fun eye info
#Creekside #TheWoodlands #eyedoctor #optometrists #glasses #contactlenses #Tomball #doctor #eyecare #theeyeplaceatcreekside #Creeksideeyecare #eyedoctorthewoodlands #creeksideeye #ophthalmology #optician